A game changing technology
The process developed by Alliance Magnesium is a hydrometallurgical process combined with an electrolytic process. It constitutes an improvement over the former Magnola Process and uses a combination of best in class technology developed by many other companies such as Norsk Hydro. It also introduces a radical breakthrough technological change into the electrolysis cell that reduces the energy cost.
The main advantages of the Alliance Magnesium technology over other technologies are as follows:
- The Alliance Magnesium process uses serpentine rock (chrysotile-asbestos mine tailings) as a source of raw material.
- Serpentine feedstock does not generate carbon dioxide emissions when processed through the hydrometallurgical reactions to produce magnesium.
- The magnesium produced is of very high quality and is certified by very demanding customers, such as Tier One OEMs and aluminium producers.
- The Alliance Magnesium process is based on electrolysis, the cleanest magnesium production process available.
Five patents have been obtained.
The Alliance Magnesium process is the result of the application and optimization of a number of proven commercial technologies. It is backed by 20 years of process development, trial and pilot plant programs and plant operations by previous major players such as Norsk-Hydro and Noranda.
All the required laboratory testing has been done to precisely evaluate the mass and energy balance. These tests were performed by independent engineers at SENECA and by INRS researchers specialized in energy and material sciences.
Alliance Magnesium has also completed the conceptual engineering work for a 50,000-tpy production plant. This has allowed detailed estimation of the CAPEX and OPEX for its commercial plant.
Most of the steps of a feasibility study are completed, as follows:
- Proven, well-characterized resource
- Technological proof-of-concept at the laboratory scale
- Complete conceptual engineering for a 50,000-tpy plant
- Detailed, independent OPEX and CAPEX estimates